Welcome to The Cashman Cuneo Family Site

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
  Castle Garden   Ellis Island around 1890
  From August 1, 1855 through April 18, 1890 immigrants came through Castle Garden (also known as Castle Clinton). The State of New York opened the very first examining and processing center for immigrants on an island off the southwest tip of Manhattan (Castle Garden). Before then there was no immigrant processing center. The shipping company presented a passenger list to the Collector of Customs, and the immigrants made whatever Customs declaration was necessary and went on their way.