DiPietro Family in Utah


Main Street, Bingham, Utah - 1913

Bingham Elementary school 1913, Bingham, Utah - 1913


A few months after their move from Denver in 1912, their third, and last, child, Cecilia, was born on March 17, 1913 in Tooele, Utah.


Soon afterward, Martino was able to find work as a miner around 1913 at the Kennecott Copper Mine. They moved to Bingham Canyon, Utah and lived in a miner's shack along the main, and only, road in Bingham Canyon. The Company owned the land and built the shacks for their employees. When they needed the land they would just move everyone. Bingham Canyon was eventually relocated and became Copperton. The DiPietro house was in the Highland Boy Community in Bingham by a creek right along the left side of the only road in town on a hill in the canyon. There were 25 steps from the road to the door. There was a stove for cooking and heating and an outhouse in back. The mode of transportation was by foot.

"I remember one day mom was looking at Tony's new spiked snow shoes when your grandma [Cecilia] fell down the steps. Mom got so upset that she hit me over the head with the shoes because I was supposed to be watching her. She was very sorry the next day when she saw the hole in my head. Being the oldest girl my mother gave me a lot of responsibility. I remember going to the store and cleaning our floors. We would clean the floors with lye and water. I was five when we moved to Bingham Canyon. I remember one day my mother's brother visited and mom and dad put a mattress on the floor for me to sleep on. During the night I woke up to see a cat sitting on my chest. I was always afraid of cats after that; you know they can suck the breath out of you when you're sleeping."    -Josie Cargniglia

The family spoke only Italian at this time, except for Tony who spoke English as well.

Highland Boy Community, Bingham Canypn 1910 Payday 1912
Apex Mine 1914 Apex Mine 1917
Apex Mine 1918  
 Martino worked at the Apex Mine



The DiPietro Family - 1913

click to enlarge

Angelina Maria Petruolo DiPietro Sept 1913

"My mother was a wonderful person, from what I remember. Cecilia was the image of her. I'd see her sewing, cooking and working hard all the time. You have to remember, by the time she was 21 she had three girls, a stepson and was living a hard life in a mining town. I remember my mom and dad fighting the evening she died. She didn't want him to go to work being drunk [he worked the night shift]. It started off when he said he wanted $10.00 to go to the bar, she gave it to him. When he came back he was drunk and she told him he wasn't going to work. My dad was a hard worker and he told her he most certainly was going to work. He could drink booze like I don't know what and still go to work. My mother had threatened to kill herself more than once. She had a hard life. I guess she meant it that night. I found out later she was five months pregnant at this time. The neighbors had said she was afraid she'd have another girl, and if she did she would kill herself. It was my very first day of school; I was five. My brother was supposed to walk me to school but he went his own way. It was that day, in the evening, that my mother killed herself. I remember me and my two sisters sitting on the floor when she came out of the room with a hole right where her belly button was, holding a big butcher knife. She said to me, `Now you take care of your sisters'. For some reason I knew she was killing herself, I was only five but I knew."        -Josie Cargniglia

"At the hospital, the doctor stalled a half an hour [treating her] and finally asked dad if he was able to pay. Dad got mad and threw $200.00 on the table so they operated. [A couple days later] No one was around and she got up to go to the bathroom and all the stitches opened up and she lasted about an hour or two."      -Tony DiPietro

"She died three or four days after she went to the hospital. My dad never took me to see her in the hospital, that I was very sorry for. I never told her goodbye. They say she cried and said she was sorry it happened. I remember her casket was carried on a horse-drawn wagon down the hill to the church. I remember almost knocking the casket over trying to climb in to be with her. She had a mahogany casket. She was buried in Bingham Canyon.


Old Bingham Cemetery 2009

  "The day after the funeral I was sitting on the porch when my teacher walked by. He asked how I was doing. I said, `fine, I'm going away tomorrow.' I remember being happy, but not for long."   -Josie Cargniglia

Saint Ann's Orphanage